Aeldari Guardian: Craftworld Iybraesil

I got distracted.

Ugh. I hated this model. For a long time now I've been wanting to have a go at painting some Eldar (Aeldari? What are they even called now?) models from the Craftworld Iybraesil, inspired by Stahly from Tale of Painters. The other day I was watching a YouTube video from Sonic Sledgehammer Studio where he painted a Celestial Vindicator in a similar, turquoise scheme and it made me think "maybe it's time I finally had a go".

Here's the thing about me though, I'm lazy, and I hate mixing paints. I don't even like thinning paints. To me it seems like a faff and knowing I'm going to have to do it a lot is the sort of thing that puts me off picking up a brush. This is why I love the airbrush paints that Games Workshop do these days. I do use them in my airbrush but I also use them with a normal brush straight out of the pot. The problem is, they don't do airbrush versions of the whole range.

So I jumped in the car and drove down to Warhammer World (the best thing about living in Nottingham is that Warhammer World is literally my closest GW store) to see what my options are. GW's turquoise colours are Stegadon Scale Green and Sotek Green, neither of which are available as airbrush paints. The closest thing to a turquoise they have is Son's of Horus Green so I thought if I used that, washed it Coelia Greenshade and highlighted it with Template Guard Blue it might work.

It didn't.


There's no getting away from it, he's dark green, not turquoise. I'm not really sure what I expected, I used the wrong colour. Not only do I not like the colour, I really didn't enjoy painting this model. He's far too fiddly for my current abilities. Try not to look at the helmet, it's awful!

I like the gun. This was also my first time using the GW gem stone paints and I think they've come out OK. I'll certainly stick with them. Another good thing is that I painted this entire model, start to finish, in a single sitting which I don't think I've ever done before. Nice to know it's possible.

I'm not going to be painting any more Aeldari models any time soon though.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Primaris Intercessors WIP 2

Oil Wash Disaster

The Project